Organization and Position Goals
Appetite For Change (AFC) is a food justice social enterprise using food as a tool to build health, wealth and social change. AFC’s first Community Cooks in 2012 was a community-based participatory learning process with community-led cooking workshops. More than 250 youth and adults told AFC they wanted more urban farms, access to local foods, “real food” options and opportunities to cook, eat and connect with community. AFC actively works towards a more just local food system through operating Breaking Bread Cafe, managing several community garden plots, engaging youth through their employment program, continuing their Community Cooks classes, and housing Northside Fresh Coalition. Northside Fresh Coalition is a community for those involved in any part of the Northside’s food system (food shelves, growers, retailers, youth programs, value-added product producers, caterers, farm-to-school programs, composters, etc.) to network, learn about opportunities to collaborate, access resources, and much more. The Coalition works to activate the northside around food justice-related issues and bring awareness to the deep impact of civic engagement.
The goal of this VISTA position at Appetite For Change/Northside Fresh Coalition will be to develop community partnerships and create systems to better connect the broader community with urban growers and local produce retailers on the northside.
- Build capacity around the Northside Fresh Bucks (FB) incentive program, resulting in increased produce consumption in north Minneapolis.
- Build capacity for Food Business Incubator Program, a partnership between AFC and NEON, with particular focus on increasing the ability for food entrepreneurs and growers to sell products/produce to local food retailers.
- Build capacity for resources to be shared amongst Northside Fresh Coalition partners by developing and maintaining a web-based resource lending library (RSL).
- Engage with the Nexus CWB Cohort (Nexus Community Partners, City of Lakes Community Land Trust (CLCLT), Merrick Community Services, Northside Economic Opportunity Network (NEON) and Appetite for Change (AFC) to build capacity through shared learning activities, communications and aligned programming.
Additional C3 Benefits
- $700 of monthly housing support
- $50 monthly gas card or $95 monthly bus pass
- $400 professional development fund
Apply through MyAmeriCorps at this link:
You will have to create a profile through MyAmeriCorps. After we have received your application, we will be in touch within 48 hours about next steps!